Brentwood, Tenn.-based Brookdale Senior Living (NYSE:BKD) is the nation’s largest senior living provider for the second year running, according to the Assisted Living Federation of America’s (ALFA) annual list.
The publicly-traded senior living company has a total resident capacity of 64,354 beds among 647 properties split mostly between independent and assisted living, along with around 7,500 memory care beds.
Rounding out the top five 2013 Largest Senior Living Providers are Emeritus Corp. (NYSE:ESC), Holiday Retirement, Sunrise Senior Living, and Life Care Services LLC.
This year’s top 80 providers account for a total operational resident capacity of more than 514,000, according to ALFA, about 2% higher than last year.
Top Ten Largest Senior Living Providers of 2013
- Brookdale Senior Living – 64,254 beds in 647 properties
- Emeritus Corp. – 47,443 beds in 482 properties
- Holiday Retirement – 42,811 beds in 316 properties
- Sunrise Senior Living – 32,464 beds in 262 properties
- Life Care Services LLC – 25,520 beds in 103 properties
- Five Star Quality Care – 24,433 beds in 214 properties
- Erickson Living – 21,110 beds in 16 properties
- Atria Senior Living Group – 16,068 beds in 130 properties
- Capital Senior Living Corp. – 12,900 beds in 101 properties
- Senior Lifestyle Corp. – 11,519 beds in 99 properties
About 14% of the top senior living providers’ capacity consists of memory care beds.
As of January 1, 2013, the nation’s top five memory care providers are Seattle-based Merrill Gardens LLC; Seattle-based Emeritus; McLean, Va.-based Sunrise Senior Living; Brentwood, Tenn.-based Brookdale Senior Living; and Toledo, Ohio-based HCR ManorCare.
Written by Alyssa Gerace