Merrill Gardens Takes New Tech-Heavy Approach to Senior Living Management

A Seattle-based senior living provider is looking into to enhancing the efficiency—and revenue generation capabilities—of its management platform, and it’s taking a technology-fueled approach.  Merrill Gardens attributes its 2010 pioneering of the RIDEA structure to “forward thinking,” and in the summer of 2013 made another strategic move by divesting 38 properties with a focus on […]

RIDEA Alignment Requires Perfect Match, Yields Senior Living Win-Win

While future strategy is generally a motivating force when two parties enter a joint venture, shared vision is crucial for RIDEA-structured deals between senior-housing focused real estate investment trusts and operators. “A RIDEA structure aligns the interests of both parties—the owner and operator are both invested in the operations of the community, and can leverage […]

Execs Rank Interest Rates as Top Senior Housing Value Driver

A majority of senior housing executives believe interest rates will be the biggest driver for cap rates going forward, indicates a new survey conducted leading up to the 2013 National Investment Center (NIC) for the Seniors Housing & Care Industry conference, but investors are keeping an eye on new construction as well.  For 2014, executives […]

Senior Housing Investments & Acquisitions (9/10/13)

Care Investment Trust Closes Acquisition of 2 Senior Housing Assets Care Investment Trust LLC, a subsidiary of Tiptree Financial Inc. (NASDAQ:TIPT) that focuses on senior housing real estate investment, and privately-held senior housing owner and operator Premier Senior Living, L.L.C., recently announced the closing of a previously announced acquisition of two senior housing facilities located in […]

HCN to Buy Out Merrill Gardens Joint Venture for $173 Million

Health Care REIT (NYSE:HCN) announced on Thursday an agreement to buy out Merrill Gardens’ equity interest in a 38-property portfolio of senior housing communities for $173 million. The REIT already owns 80% of the equity interest in the properties through a joint venture with Merrill Gardens and has now agreed to acquire the remaining 20%. […]

Merrill Gardens Hires Two Top Leisure Care Execs

Seattle-based Merrill Gardens announced on Monday the hiring of Tana Gall as president and Jason Childers as senior vice president, effective immediately. Both Gall and Childers were formerly the president and senior vice president, respectively, of Leisure Care, also based in Seattle. Merrill Gardens’ former president Bill Pettit has moved on to lead R.D. Merrill […]

Cautious Lenders Regulating Possible Senior Housing Construction Boom

Senior housing developers have been ready to go for months—even years, for some—and while there’s no immediate danger of overdevelopment, cautious lenders may function as a safeguard against repeating a boom-and-bust cycle. The annual senior housing inventory growth rate is beginning to gain traction, but was still minimal in the second quarter of 2012 at […]

From the Top: What Senior Living CEOs are Saying About Their Industry

Top executives from several different senior living companies weighed in on a variety of topics ranging from adjusting strategies to accommodate rising acuity levels to thoughts on development versus acquisitions at the National Investment Center for the Seniors Housing & Care Industry’s (NIC) annual national conference, held last week in Chicago, Ill.  Here’s a collection […]

Senior Living Education Attracting Students, Needs More Industry Support

Students are increasingly interested in pursuing a career in senior living, but programs focused on educating the senior living managers of tomorrow need the support of senior living providers to be successful. Despite the rise of senior living communities and growing demand for their services, the industry faces a potential shortage of qualified individuals to […]