What Holiday’s Largest Community Learned in Hawaii’s Missile Scare

January 13, 2018, was a day most Hawaiians are not likely to forget. Just after 8 a.m. that Saturday morning, scores of residents in the state awoke to a jarring emergency alert on their phones: “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.” We know now the alert was a false […]

Ventas Transitions Elmcroft Portfolio to Newly Formed Eclipse Senior Living

The new operating company led by former Holiday Retirement CEO Kai Hsiao is now officially managing a 76-property portfolio of senior living properties. The operator, Eclipse Senior Living (ESL), is jointly owned by Chicago-based real estate investment trust (REIT) Ventas Inc. (NYSE: VTR), which has a 34% stake. Eclipse management owns the remaining 66%. Ventas, […]

Top Senior Housing Trends in 2018

Senior living professionals have reasons to be excited as they turn the calendar to 2018, even in the midst of ongoing occupancy pressure and potential disruption from recent health care mega-deals. Perhaps most fundamentally, the passage of another year brings the long-anticipated baby boomer age wave that much closer. Yet, most boomers are still a […]

Top 10 Senior Housing News Stories of 2017

2017 has been a wild ride for many industries—the senior living industry included.  This year, industry news was once again dominated by Brookdale Senior Living (NYSE: BKD). There were takeover predictions, acquisition rumors and analyst think pieces, but ultimately no merger deals—at least as of Dec. 17.  We also have a strong feeling that we […]

New Joint Venture to Own and Operate 32 Former Holiday Properties

A new senior living brand is on the scene—and it’s launching in buildings once run by the nation’s largest independent living provider. The Solstice Senior Living portfolio currently includes 32 independent living properties formerly operated by Winter Park, Florida-based Holiday Retirement. Solstice recently was formed through a joint venture between Carlsbad, California-based management company Integral Senior […]

Senior Living Innovator Bill Thomas Introduces MAGIC Housing Model

Dr. Bill Thomas already has brought innovation to senior living and care, and in the next year he is planning to make magic happen in the industry. That’s MAGIC, to be more precise. The acronym stands for multi-ability/multi-generational inclusive communities. The first MAGIC development is in the works, to be constructed at the University of […]

[Updated] The Top 10 Largest Senior Living Providers of 2017

*Editor’s Note: This story has been corrected from a previous version, which inaccurately stated there was a significant decrease in total units among the largest providers. This was based on a mistaken analysis of the data, confusing resident capacity with unit count. Argentum’s 2016 rankings were based on resident capacity, and this year the rankings […]

NHI Puts Troubled Tenants on Notice, Posts Strong Earnings

National Health Investors (NYSE: NHI) put up strong numbers for the third quarter, but it has some troubled tenants to deal with in its senior living portfolio. Overall, the Murfreesboro, Tennessee-based real estate investment trust (REIT) posted earnings that beat analysts’ expectations for the third quarter of 2017. Revenue for the period was about $71.3 […]

Ventas Taps New Operator Led by Hsiao for 70-Property Elmcroft Deal

Ventas Inc. (NYSE: VTR) is working out a deal to transition its portfolio of about 70 Elmcroft Senior Living properties into the hands of a new management company started by Kai Hsiao, former CEO of independent living giant Holiday Retirement. Ventas, one of the “big three” real estate investment trusts (REITs) in the senior housing […]

Berkadia Bullish on Senior Housing After Its $1 Billion Day

One of the largest and priciest senior housing deals of the year has been Columbia Pacific Advisors’ acquisition of 79 Hawthorn Retirement Group properties, announced in June. That transaction also contributed to a banner day for Berkadia on Sept. 7, when the firm’s Seniors Housing and Healthcare Group closed more than $1 billion in financings. The […]