Size matters for the top U.S. senior housing operators of 2013 as both Brookdale Senior Living Inc. (NYSE: BKD) and Emeritus Senior Living (NYSE: ESC) took the #1 and #2 spots in the latest American Seniors Housing Association (ASHA) Top 50 list.
The ASHA 50, released by the National Real Estate Investor, ranks the largest senior housing owners and operators in terms of unit size across the U.S. as of June 1, 2013.
Though the rankings were compiled midway through last year, the total unit size amassed by Brookdale and Emeritus reaffirms recent merger announcements from both companies to create the largest, nationwide senior living network.
Other senior living operators to make the top-10 cut include Holiday Retirement (#3), LCS (#4), and Sunrise Senior Living LLC (#5).
Top 10 Largest U.S. Senior Housing Operators of 2013
- Brookdale Senior Living Inc. — 66,870 units
- Emeritus Senior Living — 41,743 units
- Holiday Retirement — 34,635 units
- LCS — 32,110 units
- Sunrise Senior Living LLC —26,939 units
- Five Star Quality Care Inc. — 26,876 units
- Erickson Living — 19,324
- The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society — 16,402 units
- Atria Senior Living Inc. — 14,871 units
- Senior Lifestyle Corporation — 14,392 units
Written by Jason Oliva