Following the release of the LeadingAge-Ziegler 100, the two companies have teamed up again to rank the largest nonprofit affordable senior housing providers in the country.
The 2013 LeadingAge-Ziegler 100 finds that Ohio-based National Church Residences is the largest not-for-profit affordable housing provider with more than 16,000 residents being served across 228 communities.
The list also finds that 10 of the 25 largest providers are headquartered in California. Within the state, Retirement Housing Foundation takes the top spot with 10,092 affordable housing units across 115 communities.
While National Church Residences may be the largest provider in terms of affordable housing, when combining both affordable housing units and market-rate units, the provider ranks slightly below Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society of South Dakota.
Combined, Evangelical Lutheran’s network encompasses nearly 19,000 market-rate units and roughly 1,200 affordable housing units makes it the largest nonprofit senior living provider in the country.
Here’s the 2013 LeadingAge Ziegler Top 10 (ranked by total affordable housing units only):
- National Church Residences (OH) — 16,274 units
- Retirement Housing Foundation (CA) — 10,092 units
- Volunteers of America (VA) — 9,974
- Mercy Housing (CO) — 5,457 units
- Christian Church Homes of Northern California (CA)— 5,052 units
- Elderly Housing Development and Operations Corporation (FL) — 4,296 units
- Senior Housing Assistance Group (WA) — 4,163 units
- Menorah Housing Foundation (CA) — 2,819 units
- TELACU Residential Management (CA) —2,625 units
- Catholic Housing Management (FL) — 2,246 units
While the first five providers held down their same spots in 2013 as they did in the preceding year, there was some fluctuation in rankings #6-#10, as Elderly Housing Development and Operations Corporation moved up one spot from #7 in 2012 to the #6 spot in 2013.
Click here to view the full list, along with other data and charts compiled by LeadingAge and Ziegler.
Written by Jason Oliva