In case you missed it, here are the top five stories grabbing Senior Housing News readers this week:
1. AARP Ranks Best Retirement Cities for 2013—AARP released its annual list of best cities for retirement, with this year’s selections based on affordable costs of living for retirees.
2. Senior Living Growth Potential Lies Outside Community Walls—While bricks and mortar communities will always be necessary, medical professionals during NIC’s 2013 annual conference encouraged providers to expand care services outside their walls.
3. CNL Healthcare to Acquire $457 Million Senior Living Portfolio—CNL Healthcare Properties has agreed to buy most of Bonaventure Senior Living’s portfolio. Bonaventure has announced plans to refocus its strategy going forward.
4. Cautious Senior Housing Lenders Put Brakes on New Construction—New construction activity is being tempered by senior housing lenders not anxious to repeat the overbuild of the late 1990s and early 2000s.
5. Demographics Alone Don’t Promise Senior Housing Growth—Demographics are one key indicator when determining where senior housing services are needed, but developers are looking into psychographics as well.
Written by Alyssa Gerace