Comments

  1. Illinois has an afforadable assisted living program that works. The program operates under a Medicaid waiver and is called Supportive Living. Currently, there are 133 Supportive Living communities in operation in more than 70 Counties throughout the State. Together, they house about 10,500. On average about 60% of the residents in these communities are on Medicaid.

  2. I'd like to read more elaboration about what you mean by "affordable" in the context of assisted living. In the housing context "affordable" is often used to mean the household spends no more than 30% of annual income on housing. However this assumes that individuals are providing other expenses like food and transportation out of the other 70% of income. Assisted living provides some of these needs as well so the appropriate affordable metric may well be more than 30% of annual income. But what % should it be? I would like to see more investigation.

    Thanks.
    -Sarah

  3. Hi Sarah,

    Thanks for raising this question. When I use the word affordable in this article, I'm not referring to federal government guidelines/standards of "affordable housing." It's more in response to a previous article that I wrote, "Will the nation go broke paying for senior housing & LTC," that runs through the picture of LTC costs continuing to rise while the nation's seniors are increasingly unable to afford it. So, I mean "affordable" in a more general sense; as far as I know, there is no government "affordable" assisted living in terms of how much the housing/care costs in relation to a resident's income, besides some states being able to use Medicaid waivers.

    -Alyssa

  4. it is a sad commentary that no one remembers Ken Shick's affordable AL model. Marriott effectively destroyed it when they acquired it with the Forum Group in 1997. Ken's company was called Hearthside. He developed 10+ AL buildings and operated them under his "Companion Living" operating philosophy. It was a truly inspirational model that was embraced by all the staff and residents. It was also profitable at a level of contribution by the residents of about $1500 per month on top of the $1000 or so from social security. Assuming a 30 month average length of stay, a resident and their family would have to have about $45k of liquid assets accumulated by the time of admission. That is a level of affordability that opens the AL product to a wide swath of the US.

  5. At $2500/mo per person that is not much less than some places here in my home state of Texas and still equates to $30k/yr. Probably still considered unaffordable to many….but I would be curious to read more about Ken Shicks model if you could direct me to a link.